“I’m going to make everything around me beautiful - that will be my life.” — Elsie de Wolfe

Saturday, 1 October 2011

Dentists and Doorways . . .

"All walking is discovery. On foot we take the time to see things whole." - Hal Borland

Our dentist is situated in a really beautiful spot.
It is off the road, in a courtyard surrounded with trees and next to an old church with a towering steeple.

This week after we had finished our annual check up, we decided to take a walk around the pretty and very picturesque village that it is hidden away in.

The sun was shining and the temperature was more summer than autumn. As we walked, the birds were singing and the light breeze was making the heat pleasurable.

We set about exploring. Deliberately making our way away from the main street and thoroughfare, so that we could follow all the little streets and alleyways we knew were tucked out of the way.

One of the things that struck me most was all the pretty doorways, I have taken some pictures so that you could see some of them too. . .


I loved how this was one surrounded with berries.

And this one. . . look at that ornate door knocker.

This one was called 'The Web' and its nameplate was lovely, complete with web designs.

Around the corner and lit up by sunlight, guess what I spotted? A spiders web.

Then we made our way down one of the strange little cut throughs,
this one had a wonderful and intriguing name. . .

It led steeply down, past another little cottage nestled by the side of the pathway.
(A 'discussion' was started when I pointed out that I didn't like to see the horshoe
over the door hung the wrong way up, to which Joe promptly replied - bunkum!)
And as is often the case, we agreed to disagree. :-)

Down into the dappled green light, we crossed a shallow stream
and wound our way through dark pathways.

Until finally we emerged again up into the light.

It wasn't long before we were back on the main street.

And we stopped to take a look at the old machinery outside the village museum.

Then I dragged Joe along to take pictures of this amazing place.

The gate itself is a work of art (unfortunately the pictures I took of the whole thing
weren't very good, but there are birds in the top half that isn't shown.)

But it is the path to the front door that I really wanted to take photos of!
Isn't it beautiful? A real work of art, I bet it took ages to do.
If it was mine I wouldn't want people walking on it! ;-)

I hope you have enjoyed your walk around the village of Bloxham with me.
We have to travel 10 miles to visit our dentist, when we could get one that was much nearer
. . . but who wouldn't want an excuse to visit here! :-)

I hope that your week has been a good one.


Thought of the week
"Jumping at several small opportunities may get us there more quickly
than waiting for one big one to come along." -Hugh Allen


I am linking this post to week 55 of I Saw Sunday

Images and words - Susannah Bec

24 comments:

Paul Andrew Russell said...

They are beautiful photos, Susannah. What a marvellous part of the country you live in. Good for the soul. :-)

Susannah said...

Hi Paul, yes we do, and yes it is,:-) it is a great area to explore.

Thanks for popping in, it is always good to see you. I hope all is well with you. x

Jinksy said...

I do hope that path wasn't made from pre-formed, pseudo 'stone' tiles - but its uniformity suggests that it may have been. It's certainly delightful, never the less, as were your 'doorways'. Thank you for sharing them ♥

Susannah said...

Hi Jinksy, I was pretty convinced that it was a genuine art piece, but I shall definitely take a really close look next time! :-) I'm glad you enjoyed the doorways. x

Susan said...

Makes me want to go to your dentist and I live in China now.

Susannah said...

Susan, your comment made me smile. :-) Wow, China, I bet that is an amazing experience!

Thanks for visiting. x

earlybird said...

Lovely walk, Susannah, thank you! I thought it was considered bad luck to put the horseshoe in a U shape - aren't horseshoes meant to be hung 'upside down' so that the devil/witches can't sit in them?

Susannah said...

Hi earlybird, that just goes to show that superstitions can work both ways! As far as I knew they should be hung 'u shaped' so that the luck doesn't run out of them. :-)

Good to have you along on my walk. x

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful doorways and the pathway is astounding. Someone did a lot of work, but worth all the effort. Fantastic walk, thank you,

Elizabeth

turtlememoir said...

Beautiful photos and writeup. I especially loved the photos of that gate and the amazing path to the front door. I could almost envy those people. :)

vivinfrance said...

An idyllic post about an idyllic day. Thank you - I know how long it takes to insert all those pictures, but I'm so glad you did!

Susannah said...

Elizabeth, Ruth and Viv, thank you for sharing my walk with me. It is lovely to see you all. x

moondustwriter said...

Oh I love the doorways and the beautiful textures in your pictures. I want to look deeper

Have a good week

Susannah said...

Thanks for visiting moondust, it is good to meet you. :-)

Morvah said...

Susannah, only you could make a visit to the dentist a beautiful experience! What a gorgeous village!

Ed Pilolla said...

beautiful photos. thanks for sharing this part of the world as you did.

Selma said...

I swear you live in the pages of a storybook. The doorways are enchanting. Thank you so much for sharing your glorious photos!

Susannah said...

Morvah your comment made me smile :-) yhank you. I hope all is well with you, it is always a pleasure to see you. x


Ed, Good to see you, thanks for popping in. :-)


Selma :-) I am glad you enjoyed the photo, always good to see you. x

Monica {bohemian twilight} said...

hey there, stumbled in...

oh your photos make me yearn for England. this is the England we do love.

jabblog said...

Lots of gorgeous photos! What a pretty village this must be. I'm of the horseshoe U side up persuasion!

Susannah said...

Monica, A warm welcome, it is good to meet you, I am glad you stumbled in. Please drop by again. :-)

Susannah said...

Jabblog, I am glad you know which is the right way up for horshoes! :-)

Good to see you. x

Barb said...

A wonderful stroll - what picaresque cottages! The setting (almost) makes it a pleasure to go to the dentist!

Susannah said...

:-) Good to see you Barb, thanks for popping in. x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails