“I’m going to make everything around me beautiful - that will be my life.” — Elsie de Wolfe

Saturday, 5 November 2011

Nanowrimo, & November In My Garden

"Blank pages and unwilling fingers.
Words waiting to be written, queueing to be first out of my pen.
But sentences need a structure to inhabit, a stage they can dance upon.
So, while the story temporarily eludes me, there is nothing I can do but wait."


It is November again and time for another Nanowrimo.

People all over the planet taking up the challenge to write 50,000 words in 30 days. Last year was my first year and what a roller coaster ride it was. I had never written anything longer than a blog post before, but I plunged in with no plot and plenty of enthusiasm. I managed to complete the challenge and come away with the bare bones of my first novel Learning How to Fly a Kite.

I promised myself that if I took part again this year, that I would prepare. No more flying by the seat of my pants, why make it difficult for myself? I would have a plot, characters, and a storyline sketched out, ready to start writing on November the first.

I had such good intentions. . .

But here it is again, another November, another Nanowrimo, another year of me sitting and waiting for the story to come. I didn't prepare. And I am once again at the beginning of that wild scary ride, and four days in I recognise the terrain. The quote from my name is zing at the top of the page was written on last years nanowrimo day four.

So it seems I am on track and all is going as it should. :-) . . .

Meanwhile, in my garden....

Red berries against deep green leaves, their colour so vibrant through the curtain of falling rain. The lilac branches a landing strip for small eager birds who don't seem to notice the weather.
- my name is zing
From where I am doing my nanowrimo writing (on my laptop, sitting on the sofa in my computer room - no internet on my laptop, so no distractions!) - I can see this rose out of my window.
November and it is still sending out buds, new and beautiful against the grey sky.

I hope all well with you all. x


Thought of the week
"Writing is like driving at night in the fog.
You can only see as far as your headlights,
but you can make the whole trip that way." - Doctorow


I am linking this post to week 60 of I Saw Sunday

Images and words - Susannah Bec

16 comments:

turtlememoir said...

Beautiful fall colours - love that rose, though it looks like it belongs in an earlier season. :)

Good luck with NaNo - I've completed 3 years in a row and decided not to participate this year (though I'm writing). I'm not much of a planner myself - I tend to feel my best writing comes out of seat-of-the-pants flying... but it's definitely a scarier way to go.

Sheila Moore said...

beautiful photos - really enjoyed looking at them! Good luck with Nanowrimo. I considered it but chickened out (even though I have my story outlined already.)

Gemma Wiseman said...

A fascinating post with glimpses into your creative worlds! I still have not dared Nanowrimo though the thought has lingered! I guess I am too much a poetry soul!

vivinfrance said...

Lovely pictures and poetic quotes. Bon courage for Nano - I did it two years ago, and had intended doing it this year, but opted for Poetic Asides PAD challenge instead.

earlybird said...

Good luck with the writing. The photo of that rose is quite beautiful.

Susie said...

I'm rooting for you with your NaNoWriMo endeavor. I've done Script Frenzy at least three times and succeeded. It's hard, but invigorating.

If my job weren't crazy I'd take on NaNoWriMo.

Great photos.

Ellen said...

I have never heard of Nanowrimo, but then I'm not a writer. It sounds quite intriguing. I can't even imagine trying to do that. You are courageous! I know enough that the process must come when it comes and I'm sure that will happen. In the meantime, your photos are simply gorgeous. You are my encouragement.

Paul Andrew Russell said...

Good luck with it, Susannah. NaNoWriMo is too intimidating for me.

Beautiful photos too.

Thanks for visiting my blog earlier. It's good to be back. It's good to have friends. :-)

Harry Nicholson said...

A laptop without internet! That's where I've been going wrong!

Jennifer said...

Wild and scary ride. To me - that sounds entirely conducive to creativity. Soldier on Susannah, I expect great rewards will be yours for doing so.

Elizabeth said...

The best of luck with NaNowrimo, Susannah. Love the photos, especially the rose, so delicate and fragile so late in the season. I think most really good writing is a seat of the pants experience, simply letting go and allowing oneself to simply follow the words, they do know how to get there if we let them.

Elizabeth
http://claudetteellinger.wordpress.com/

Susannah said...

Good to see you all and thanks very much for the encouragement about my 'seat of the pants' Nanowrimo experience, I really appreciate it. :-)

And Harry, a laptop without internet is in my opinion VITAL for writing! Otherwise I would be checking my emails every 5 minutes for distraction. :-)

Thanks again everyone, it is always good to see you. x

Barb said...

You're brave to commit to the writing - even when I do the stones, it feels like a huge creative plunge! Good luck - your photos show that there are some lovely distractions if you need them....

Susannah said...

Good to see you Barb. x

Morvah said...

Susannah, a laptop without internet sounds perfect! I do recognise your quandry of 'no plot/stage'. This sounds like an ideal way to break through the obscurity, though I hardly have time to blog even at the moment. It's lovely to find you still here with your beautiful calm place in the web in the midst of current mayhem! Gorgeous pics, M xxx

Susannah said...

Good to see you Morvah! I've missed you. x And thank you for your lovely comment. :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails