“I’m going to make everything around me beautiful - that will be my life.” — Elsie de Wolfe

Saturday, 19 November 2011

One Week in Autumn. . .

"There is no perfect time to write. There's only now." - Barbara Kingsolver

I have been writing. Forcing out the words when all I want to do is run from them. Last year was easier, I was consumed with it, I lived it, breathed it. This year there have been days such as today when I only managed to squeeze out 700 words.

I have been distracted, or should I say I have been finding distractions. I checked emails, joined in with writing prompts, visited blogs. I walked by the canal, I took photos, I noticed things.

Let me share some of this weeks distractions with you. . .

Sign painted on a wall in Banbury town centre -
it has been there as long as I have been visiting the place.



Observation:
"Someone has drawn black ink lines on this mornings colourless sky.
On closer inspection they look like trees. I see the branches and at
the very top of each one sit birds, in pairs. Maybe they are waiting
for the colour to arrive, so that they can take to the air and fly."


A damp day down by the canal.
As you can see we are at lock 29.


Thought:
"Even in the greyest sky,
the birds still fly.
Life goes on."


This caught my eye -
I love the lines, patterns, shapes and angles.



Overheard:
Two elderly ladies talking.
One: "I got all my washing dry."
The other: "Yes it was a lovely drying day yesterday."


The ramshackle roof of one of the buildings at Tooleys Boatyard
by the canal in Banbury - I love the hillocks of soft green moss.



Observation:
"Wary jackdaws, shiny black and powerful, feeding on the bird feeder.
A little blue tit hops up on my window ledge and begins to tap the
window with his beak, he is looking straight at me as he does it."


Draped in mist, the landscape chants.

Nuts and Acorns.
Bark and Moss.

Falling Leaves.
Naked Trees.

Colours of Fire.
Mud and Mire.

Bracken and Mould.
Richer than Gold.

Rich Black Earth.
Dreams of Birth.


Subtle and beautiful. An aria of decay.

All of the fungi was found poking through the fallen leaves under the
lilac bush in my garden.
This is the first year I've ever noticed them.


Observation:

"A gust of wind and a flurry of yellow gold leaves
take to the air and soar over my fence like birds."


In my garden this fallen red leaf stopped me in my tracks -
its vivid colour singing out again its green grass back drop.


Also this week I had the pleasure to interview Robb Lloyd the founder of Poets United
(for the real toads.) - You can read the interview here - Interview with Robb Lloyd

I hope all well with you all. x

“I turned silences and nights into words. What was unutterable, I wrote down.
I made the whirling world stand still.” - Arthur Rimbaud


Thought of the week
Think of the world you carry within you. - Rainer Maria Rilke


I am linking this post to week 62 of I Saw Sunday

Images and words - Susannah Bec

18 comments:

marit´s,,, said...

I like yuor ``one week in autumn``

Marit.

Ellen said...

It seems like all I ever post on here is how incredible your photos are, but I can't help it! They are. Simply fabulous. They transport me immediately right to where they are. Thanks.

Gemma Wiseman said...

Such fascinating macros and adore all the thoughtful comments beneath each one!

Barb said...

Your "distractions" made for wonderful photos and descriptions. Love that red leaf and thought the mossy roof was fabulous.

vivinfrance said...

what pleasure you give us all with your observations through lens and pen.

Petra said...

great post. I like your observations!

turtlememoir said...

Beautiful pics and words, "an aria of decay" :)

Harry Nicholson said...

All an artist would ever need is under your lilac bush.
Your muse is also there . . .

earlybird said...

Those mushrooms are beautiful. I wonder if they're edible?

Elizabeth said...

Glad to know that others get distracted by shapes, colors, and form. Both your photos and words are a continuing adventure. I really love the mushrooms. You are three quarters through NaNO, you will make it. I have faith,

Elizabeth

Susannah said...

Thanks everyone for popping in and sharing my weeks 'distractions' with me. :-)

It is always good to see you all. x

vivinfrance said...

Oh, I know all about "displacement activities" and muses gone AWOL. You have used yours to wonderful effect in this post.

Susannah said...

Thanks Viv. :-)

Selma said...

I think your observations and photos would make a great book - definitely the type of thing I like to read. You have a very insightful and uplifting perspective. Keep up the good work!

Susannah said...

Thanks very much Selma. x

It is good to see you!

I hope you are well on the road to recovery now. I missed you. x

Isabel Doyle said...

Oh yes, the agonies of (not) writing
You do have beautiful distractions though
You might be interested in my post on written in exile 'What is writing?' - perhaps you have overcome your distractions and now the words are streaming ...
best wishes, Isabel

Susannah said...

Good to see you here Isabel, and yes luckily today the words are flowing. :-)

Thanks for visiting. x

zongrik said...

i like the mushrooms

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails