“I’m going to make everything around me beautiful - that will be my life.” — Elsie de Wolfe

Saturday, 3 December 2011

Taking a walk around the village. . .

"Hello darkness my old friend, I've come to talk to you again" - Simon & Garfunkel

December and its dark evenings seems to have snuck up on me this year. It seems strange to think that in just a few weeks time it will be the longest night! and from the winter solstice onward the light will gradually be increasing with each passing day.

As I have got older, I gain great comfort in watching the turning of the year. As with our own life, each stage passed through has its beauty - and each season is as needed and necessary as the last.

"True wisdom lies in gathering the precious things
out of each day as it goes by." - E. S. Bouton

One chilly morning this week, the sun was shining in a clear blue sky and it seemed perfect weather for taking a walk around the village.


Here are a few of the things I noticed on my walk. . .

Sunshine and long shadows.

I loved all the splashes of red - Lots of berries this year too!

I noticed that there is still lots of colour left in the gardens.

What lovely subtle colours! I love the fact that the little suckers
are visible - and the wonderful colours of the lichen

- the colours are echoed in this old door.

Then at the stables at the top of our road, I spotted this lovely horse and his shadow.
- What is he looking at I wondered?

Then I noticed the farrier! About to deal with two of his stable mates.
- They were both watching him too, looking very interested as he prepared his tools.

Then a long view over the fields, before heading for home.

Thank you for sharing my week. I hope all is well with you all. x

By the way - I did it! :-)
(I haven't yet finished the story but I did manage to complete the 50k word challenge.)

Thought of the week
"Give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way."
- Native American saying

I am linking this post to week 64 of I Saw Sunday

Images and words - Susannah Bec

24 comments:

Jade said...

Perfectly beautiful & inspiring, every single one!

"Give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way."
- Native American saying

This is something I will take with me into the next week :)

Jinksy said...

Pictures 8,9 & 10 are a beautiful collection of cool colours that match the temperatures we've been having here this week. ♥

Paul Andrew Russell said...

I love the 'red' photos, Susannah, especially the post box and the holly. Memories....

Ellen said...

Wow, your photos are terrific. I love the white horse. If I could see scenery like that in my neighborhood, I would take walks ALL the time. Simply beautiful.

Ellen said...

Oops, I forgot to say congrats on the word challenge. You are amazing.

Gemma Wiseman said...

Love those berries and the horse and shadow are so beautiful! A fascinating walk round your village! And congrats on meeting your writing challenge!

Rajesh said...

Amazing Sue, even I wrote about growing up and passing time yesterday. Though of course, nothing as elegant as yours :)

vivinfrance said...

Well done for Nano. Your pictures make a beautiful collection and each is lovely in different ways. The long shadows one looking straight into the sun is amazing.

Susie said...

Bravo for finishing NANOWRIMO! Tremendous. The photos here are gorgeous.

Morvah said...

Congratulations on meeting your challenge Susannah ~ and still producing lovely blog pages! Is your story published yet?
This time of year is beautiful isn't it? Your photos draw one into your world and it feels as if we are walking with you ~ thank you!

zongrik said...

you sure had a nice week. wonderful pictures. i'm jealous. what a nice life you have.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Wow, congrats on winning the NANOWRIMO. Quite a feat - 50,000 words. Thanks for the walk around your village - I loved it!

Mama Zen said...

Beautiful shots!

Susannah said...

Thanks everybody for dropping in, it is really good to see you all. x

turtlememoir said...

Beautiful photos - I love all the red, the blue blue sky, and the more muted colours of flowers, lichen and door...

Selma said...

Congrats on finishing NaNo - that is brilliant. Your berry photos are FAB and I really love the window with the red and green foliage around it. It looks like a Christmas wreath!

illuminary said...

Looking for color,
wandering a bit
and seeing so much..
sounds like a morning well spent...
a loved your choice of quotes too!
~grin~

Susannah said...

Thanks Ruth, Selma and illuminary. :-)

Really good to see you all. x

Monica said...

loved this walk with you. took me right back to england.

Susannah said...

Glad to have your along Monica. :-)

Jennifer said...

The photos - seeing your world through your eyes - always beautiful. But this is the most beautiful thing about this post:

"As I have got older, I gain great comfort in watching the turning of the year. As with our own life, each stage passed through has its beauty - and each season is as needed and necessary as the last."

Somehow, I'm thinking winter won't be so bad. Thank you.

Susannah said...

Yes, we have to have faith in 'the way of things.':-)

Always good to see you Jennifer. x

mrsnesbitt said...

For some reason I thought your blog was american - then I spotted the postbox and hydrangea - I knew then you were british! Wonderful" So nice to meet you.
Denise x

Susannah said...

Really nice to meet you too Denise. :-) Thanks very much for popping in, I hope to see you again. x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails