“I’m going to make everything around me beautiful - that will be my life.” — Elsie de Wolfe

Saturday, 21 January 2012

The colours of my January garden . . .

“Your deepest roots are in nature. No matter who you are, where you live, or what kind of life you lead, you remain irrevocably linked with the rest of creation." - Charles Cook

The temperatures warmed up a little bit this week and rain replaced the frosty mornings. My cat Sammy joined me as I ventured out into the garden. I seem to have become a stranger there since the leaves fell, and first the winds and then the frost arrived. But I knew that if I took my camera out with me, it would inspire me to seek out the little bits of beauty that are always lurking there, no matter what the weather or the season. . .

I noticed that even Sammy manages to look pale in the damp, grey, winter light!

Here are the photos I took. . .

My collection of stones and pebbles (gathered from various beaches over the years)
seem to appreciate the damp weather, it brings out their beauty.

The green man quietly surveys the garden from his home among the branches.

This seems to be the colour palette of my January garden. . .

"Just remain in the center, watching.
And then forget that you are there." - Lao Tzu


Oooh, it is all starting again. . .new life springing from the ground!

I hope your week has been a good one. x

Thought of the week

"You can focus on what's wrong in your life,
or you can focus on what's right."

- Marianne Williamson

Words and Images - Susannah Bec.

17 comments:

Barb said...

It looks as though spring is already lurking in your garden, Susannah. You've given me the idea of putting my stone collection outside. I like all the heart shaped leaves and the moldering green in the photos. And Sammy, too, of course.

Gemma Wiseman said...

A beautiful tour of your garden world! I think my favourites, however must be your beautiful cat and the magical "green man"! Such a cuties!

Rinkly Rimes said...

'If winter comes can spring be far behind?' indeed.

Paul said...

Everything looks so beautiful and green, Susannah. :-)

Selma said...

Sammy is so cute. Very fluffy. your garden looks great - I really like the photo of the leaves with the drops on them. So lovely!

vivinfrance said...

Fabulous pictures. My favourite is the sedum spectabilis babies - such perfect form in a plant so small.

Majella21 said...

I really enjoyed these photos. A reminder that when you take the time to look below the surface, beauty and growth abound! That will be my thought for the week. ������

Petra said...

yeah, the first signs of spring!!! thank you!

Susan said...

It's amazing that you've got so much green as in my corner of the world there isn't a speck of it.

Jenniefr said...

Great to be in your garden again! Such beautiful colours. Sammy reminds me of our old orange cat, now departed, Woody - he used to like to perch on narrow spots like that and would look just as content.

Love your green man! I have a similar face hanging in my hallway.

Jennifer said...

And, love the new look!

Morvah said...

Wonderful Susannah, We are satisfied with so little in our gardens at this time of year, it seems almost unbelievable that there will be so much more in a very few weeks ~ I love the baby sedums too and am delighted that mine are so far surviving the move!

Ellen said...

Oh how beautiful dear Sammy is. As usual, I'm enchanted by your photos and quotes. I love the stones and pebbles. Spring has definitely sprung where you are.

Susannah said...

It is really good to see you all. Thanks for popping in and leaving your lovely comments. I appreciate it. :-) x

David said...

Beautiful pictures Sus. Sammy has quite a pure aura to him. I've missed you.

illuminary said...

I am so impressed at how you managed to make a rainy day look lovely~!
~grin~

Susannah said...

David! It is brilliant to see you, I've missed you too. :-))) x


Illuminary - thank you. x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails