“I’m going to make everything around me beautiful - that will be my life.” — Elsie de Wolfe

Sunday 14 August 2011

Boats, Bridges and Beautiful Light . . .

"The light through the trees is beautiful.
Low golden sun touching the remnants of this dark day.
Oozing from the edges of leaves and falling into liquid amber pools,
its soft fingers spread honey on the cold hard ground. "
Thursday - my name is zing

Earlier this week, Joe and I decided that instead of just nipping into our nearest town (Banbury) for the weekly shopping, we would be tourists for a couple of hours. So we parked down by the canal. . .

Notice the flowers? Banbury always has the most lovely flowers decorating the town every year, with different colour schemes. It looks like this year it is red and yellow.

There were lots of boats moored on the water, plus the holiday makers chugging though on their boats. We walked along as far as the bridge. . .

Then up the steps! I stopped to snap a photo of the lines and shadows.

And on to the bridge. We are heading in the direction of the big Q so that we can cut through the shopping centre.

From the bridge, looking back in the other direction.

And down the other side. . .
The sun is out and lots of people are milling about, both on the water and off.

A last look at the boats.

And then into the shopping centre.
Where I am once again taken with the light and shadow.

And I loved being able to look up and see the sky and clouds!

While we were inside the centre, we visited the museum which has a wonderful exhibition of Holograms on at the moment. They were really stunning! as was the view from the glass sided covered walkway over the canal we walked across to reach the museum.

"One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure." - William Feather

Then back out the other side of the shopping centre and into the sunshine.

The fancy brickwork on this building caught my eye.

Strolling through the side streets. . .

Until the weather began to change and the dark clouds rolled in!

I love these, they hang over side alleyways and I think denote what shops used to operate there.
They are very beautiful, even when backed by that angry looking sky!

There were lots more photos of the day, but I didn't want to make this blog post too long! So I may post more photos mid week.

By the way, did you see the photos of the 'Tree People' that I post earlier this week?
If not you can see them by clicking HERE

I'd like to thank all those that wished me a happy birthday for yesterday. I had a lovely day surrounded by family, good food and much laughter. Thanks again for your good wishes. - Susannah x


Thought of the week
"Lighthouses don’t go running all over an island looking
for boats to save; they just stand there shining."
- A Lamott


So, what did you see this week? Please come and join us and leave a link to one of your blog posts at I Saw Sunday! Click HERE to visit - We will make you very welcome, I promise. :-)

I am linking this post to week 48 of I Saw Sunday

All images and words - Susannah Bec

14 comments:

jabblog said...

It's an interesting idea, to view your neighbourhood as a tourist might. I enjoyed my stroll with you - thank you:-)

Susannah said...

Hi Jabblog, I think we miss so much about our local area because we are 'used to it'. Then when we go on holiday we visit places that we would ignore back home. LOL

I think because this isn't my 'home town' (it has only been our local area for the past seven years) it is easier to be a tourist, but wherever we live there are always things to see right on our doorstep.

Good to see you, thanks for popping in. :-)

Jinksy said...

The dark sky was a perfect foil for the golden sun - even though the real one wasn't shining!
A delightful tour of sunshine and shadows of all kinds, and in all places...

earlybird said...

Nice juxtaposition of the modern and the old. Including the canal boats which now have a a new life.

It's so true that we have to 'look' at what we 'see' every day. I think blogging has helped refresh my memory on this because I keep thinking 'would this interest people who don't see this every day?'

Gobetween's Space said...

Flowers always create a pleasant atmosphere. Great photos.

Paul Andrew Russell said...

A lovely series of photos, Susannah. Banbury certainly is beautiful! I've never visited there.

Best Wishes for a great Sunday.

Paul

vivinfrance said...

Thank you for the delightful tour: it brought back memories of many a narrow boating weekend with a friend (sadly no longer with us).

Elizabeth said...

What a delightful tour you took us on. I grew up in the city where I live, but moved away and lived elsewhere for over thirty years. I am finding old haunts rearranged and changed and am delighted to be a tourist here in this strange/familiar place. Love the canal and boats and all the interesting shadows.

Elizabeth

Morvah said...

It looks very pleasant, so clean and colourful. Sadly much of Cornwall and particularly Penzance is showing signs of depression - lots of empty shops,peeling paint, dirt and rubbish. It's good to see that some civic pride still exists elsewhere.

Susannah said...

Thanks everyone for accompanying me on my tourist day out! :-) It was good to have you along.


Jinksy, yes that dark sky set off the golden Sun to perfection didn't it?


Earlybird, that is right about the juxtaposition of old and new, done well it really enhances both. I agree with you about blogging (and taking photos) it really does help you to look at things differently doesn't it. That is a great point.


Gobetween, flowers do make things look lovely don't they? Thanks for visiting it is good to meet you. :-)


Paul, yes Banbury is very pretty and I love the fact that the canal flows right through the centre. It was certainly colourful last weekend as Cropredy festival was on and the supermarkets were full of festival goers stocking up on provisions for the weekend. I am sure a few of the boats were there for that too. Cropredy attracts a more mature audience so a lot of old hippies to be seen. :-)


Viv, it was good to have you along! :-) I have only ever been on narrowboat half day trips and never had a whole holiday, I should imagine it is a wonderful way to travel.


Elizabeth, yes it is good to return to a place we once knew and see how it has changed isn't it? I grew up about 30 miles from here and when I visit I understand just what you mean with that perfect description of strange/familiar. :-)


Morvah, yes, it does doesn't it. I have noticed how well the place is kept and they always make such an effort with flowers etc. Whereas when I visit my home town it seems more run down and jaded. I think that because Banbury is on the edge of the cotswolds and has holiday narrowboats passing through they make a real effort. If it wasn't a place that tourists visit maybe it would be different?


Good to see you all. x

Jennifer said...

What a gorgeous town - so full of charm and colour. And good on you for seeing like a tourist. I love your canals and the beautiful low slung boats - so unlike anything I've known. If I could ride on a canal like that...

Also love that shot of the ironwork against "the angry sky" - particularly those intriguing little charms hanging there. Great to escape into your world again.

Susannah said...

Good to see you Jennifer! :-)

I have missed you around here. x

Anonymous said...

Lovely in every way. I felt like I was on my holidays too.
You live in such a beautiful part of the world!

Susannah said...

Yes, I do don't I, and I am very grateful - even when I am wishing I lived closer to the sea!

Good to see you Selma. :-) x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails