“I’m going to make everything around me beautiful - that will be my life.” — Elsie de Wolfe

Wednesday 24 March 2010

Here before we came. . .

The two big stones were here when we took over the well loved but overgrown garden. They, along with the twisted stick with the hooked end that hung in the old lilac tree, the big old hunk of wood that had been used as a chopping block and the very old rusty vice hidden in undergrowth have stayed, as the garden has been tamed around them.
They are part of the history of this place, they were in this beautiful spot long before we came - and each had stories that I am sure the old couple who used to tend this space knew well. . .I can not hear the words of how they came to be here but I feel their stories everytime I touch them. . .

"There are times when I cannot believe I am separate from this earth,
when I could swear the wind blows through me as it does the woven
needles of the pine tree by the creek, when I feel my feet planted
deep in the earth with the roots of trees and wildflowers,
drawing essence." - Cathy Johnson

12 comments:

Suz said...

I love what Cathy johnson said...I have felt it too...as i know you have
What treasures you have in your garden Susannah...those rocks...love them...
Have you posted pictures of your garden? I would love to see them...

Susannah said...

Yes, I love those words by Cathy Johnson and so identify with them! I am glad you do too Suz.

Pictures of my garden? I am sure there are some pictures somewhere - here is last years 'mid may in my garden' - (http://myincrediblejoy.blogspot.com/2009/05/mid-may-in-my-garden.html)

I will make sure to post pictures this year. :-)

Thanks for dropping in Suz - it is always good to see you.

Ellen said...

I have to agree, Cathy Johnson's words gave me chills. Susannah, I can tell how in tune you are with the Universe. I'm in awe of you. I just love reading your posts so much. What an inspiration you are.

Susannah said...

Hello Ellen - Yes, I think we all felt affected by that powerful quote by Cathy Johnson! . . . and thank you for your kind words, they are much appreciated. :-)
(I am thinking of you and your family - x)

5 Kids With Disabilities said...

What a beautiful poem. And how insightful you are to incorporate the old in with the new!
Lindsey Petersen

Susannah said...

Thanks very much Lindsey. :-)

(Nice to meet you!)

Ana Goncalves said...

Dear Susannah,
It is wonderful that you are in tune with the rocks as they hold much memories of our ancestors and can channel those experiences easily to us, if we allow ourselfs to connect with them.
Thank you for stopping by my blog.
I am grateful to be here. :)

Susannah said...

Hello Ana, thank you very much for visiting, it is nice to see you here. :-)

Barbara Scully said...

Wow - I have just resorted out my blog and now wont miss any new posts of yours anymore! this is beautiful and I just love the quote... I think a lot of women feel the same way - deeply connected to Mother Earth!

Susannah said...

Hi Barbara - Thanks! it is good to see you! - I have missed you. ;-)

Ann said...

An Award for you to collect at Inkpots N' Quills, you "Beautiful Blogger" you!

Susannah said...

Thanks Ann - I really must do an awards post (I still have the honest scrap one to do.)

Very much appreciated Ann, thanks again! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails