“I’m going to make everything around me beautiful - that will be my life.” — Elsie de Wolfe

Sunday 19 December 2010

My Purple hat, feeding birds and Snow, Snow, Snow!

Well, this week I finally retrieved my scarves, gloves and hats from the vacuum bags where they had been stored in flat packages since last winter. I had thinned out my collection of hats and scarves before I put them away and couldn't remember which I had kept, so was very glad to find my purple hat again. :-)

It had been dry and a bit icy but then we had another light sprinkling of snow.

Then a couple of days ago the snow began to fall. I took these photos from my desk
of all the little birds visiting my bird table just outside the window.

A bluetit sheltering from the snow.

A sparrow taking his turn.

A bluetit filling up on seed.

A Robin seeking seed and shelter.

And then yesterday the snow REALLY began to fall and the scene outside
my window got whiter and whiter and the snow got deeper and deeper.

So by the time I got up this morning, turned on my computer and lifted up
the blind at my window, this was the scene I was faced with.

The poor birds were hanging around and there was no food anywhere, any that had been left over from yesterday had been buried under inches of snow. Now I still wasn't fully awake but I couldn't relax and drink coffee and check emails with the poor birds out there looking for food.

So I needed a plan, Joe was still asleep (he would have been my number one plan!)

So I began to look for my wellington boots, then realised that they were in the shed, meaning that I would need wellington boots to fetch the wellington boots! I realised that the spade was there too. So I improvised. I put on my everyday boots but as I gauged that the snow would come inches over them, I decided to put plastic bags over them and up to my knees.

I gathered up the big tub of seed and something to scrape the snow from the bird table and with the seed tucked under my arm, I opened the back door. Then all the snow that had been drifting against the door promptly fell inside. Now this was not starting well.

I managed to get myself through the door and promptly fell over, down the three steps outside the back door. Luckily the snow was soft and despite being covered in snow I was okay, so managed to get myself back up onto my feet again and attempted to get to the place we kept the spade. After finding myself on my back again I realised that I really wasn't cut out for this and that the plastic bags were probably not a good idea as despite not helping with the falling / slipping... my feet ankles and calves were the only thing left on me that was dry!

I gave up on the spade and made my way around to the back of the house and the bird table. My hand were wet, icy and crimson with cold. I kicked the snow away from a patch on the ground and poured seed for the birds that like to eat from the floor, and filled the bird table with seed too. Just time to shake the snow from the cotoneaster berries that the blackbird was eating yesterday before I fell over for the third time!

I finally got indoors looking like a snowman, still with my plastic bag leggings. So having had to completely change all of my clothes and trying to warm my freezing hands, I finally got to read my emails and to write this post.

To add insult to injury, instead of sympathy from Joe when I told him about my escapades, he thought it was hysterically funny! Which in hindsight I agree it probably was. :-)

Just a shame no one could have snapped a photo of me when I came back indoors, now I agree that would have been funny!

I took these photos before I began my mini polar expedition!


I am linking this to week 14 of I Saw Sunday why not click on the link and visit and join in with us! and tell us what you saw this week. Oh, go on! :-)
You have all week to post your link - words or pictures or both!
Click here to visit - I Saw Sunday

10 comments:

Deborah said...

I don't likre the thought of you tumbling ... but this had me laughing aloud! So so funny!:o)

Susannah said...

I know you would have been laughing if you had seen me when I arrived back indoors. Hmmm, not much sympathy from you either then! lol

none said...

Your compassion for the birds is admirable. :) That was a cute story. The photos brought it alive.

Elizabeth said...

Sorry Susannah but I'm laughing right along with Joe and Deborah. The photos are delighful, but I think you should have taken one after your expedition just to have a "I was here" and "look what I did" sort of memento, lol.

Elizabeth

Susannah said...

Thanks very much Jade. :-)

It's good to see you again.


Now everyone else please note...Jade DID NOT laugh at me! lol

Susannah said...

Elizabeth, yes I agree. Even I would have loved to have seen that photo! well, after I had changed my clothes, got warm and recovered my sense of humour I would. :-)

Jennifer said...

Oh no! (NOT LAUGHING) But you did create a humourous picture - I'm glad you were unhurt! Your compassion for neighbourhood birds is even more admirable!

Susannah said...

Hi Jennifer, good to see you. :-)

I just can't ignore the birds they are literally just feet away from me on the other side of the window.... and it's freezing out there! (They stare at me too and I can feel them willing me to bring food!)lol

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am checking this blog using the phone and this appears to be kind of odd. Thought you'd wish to know. This is a great write-up nevertheless, did not mess that up.

- David

Susannah said...

Thanks David. :-)

I had used one of bloggers new feature to change title fonts to new and fancy choices but it is obviously throwing things out and I wasn't that keen on them anyway! So I changed them back. :-)

Good to see you, hope all is well with you all. x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails