“I’m going to make everything around me beautiful - that will be my life.” — Elsie de Wolfe

Sunday 25 September 2011

Falling Leaves and Sparkling Water. . .

"To be interested in the changing seasons is a happier state of mind
than to be hopelessly in love with spring." - George Santayana

Well the year has reached its balance point, days and nights of equal length at autumn equinox marks the slide into the darker time of year. This week I really noticed the colours of autumn starting to creep along the trees and hedgerows and the ground is littered with beautiful jewel coloured leaves.

"The leaves begin their slow journey from summer green to autumn's fiery jewels.
Glimpses of saffron yellow and burnt orange amidst the sea of green, picked out and
set aglow by the sinking sun. Day and night, balanced again at this equinox point.
The year is turning and autumn is returning to the land." - my name is zing

Mid week it was a lovely day and we decided to take a drive out to the reservoir.
It is always such a pleasure to drive the roads around here, and the journey is
always just as nice as the destination.

When we arrived we were shocked to see that the water was so low.
All of the green bits are usually well under the water.

But as we walked and saw the sunlight sparkling on the water, that was soon forgotten.

Autumn had been doing its work here too, leaving a still life of fallen leaves floating on the water.

It was breezy and quite hypnotic watching the changing patterns of the wind on the water, and the blowing of the clouds and the willows.
"My riches consist not in the extent of my possessions,
but in the fewness of my wants. " - J. Brotherton

Back to the car and on our way home. . .

Now I wonder if any of you kind people can help me identify this bush/shrub in my garden.
(In Spring it has tiny pinkish red flowers.)

And in the autumn (now) it has these fruits? at its base. Any ideas?


I hope that your week has been a good one. :-)


Thought of the week
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out,
it's the grain of sand in your shoe. "

- Author Unknown


I am linking this post to week 54 of I Saw Sunday

Images and words - Susannah Bec

14 comments:

earlybird said...

Autunm is definitely on its way... Sorry, Susannah, I can't help with the bush. Maybe Viv or Harry will be able to help.

jabblog said...

Autumn is a beautiful season. We noticed yesterday how the trees are colouring.
Your shrub looks like a quince. The fruits are too bitter to be eaten raw but can be used to make quince jelly. I never have enough fruits to do that!

Harry Nicholson said...

Yes, it is a quince. You can indeed cook them if you want a job - but they look good if left on the bush for dreary winter days.

Kellie said...

I love #4, 5 7 & 8... Great pics!

Hazel said...

Thanks for the virtual tour. Lovely images! We don't have autumn in my part of the world but I love witnessing the season thru photos and stories. I appreciate learning something new today - quince. Thanks to jabblog and Harry and to you for bringing that up.

Elizabeth said...

Love your photos and how you manage to make me feel that I took the journey with you. The leaves are starting to turn here as well and I plan on trying to capture a bit of that next week.

Elizabeth

Morvah said...

Goodness, you have so many leaves and so much green! Here it is like a different country - shriven and misty damp, still beautiful though! Doesn't the sight of a brand new conker give you a thrill? have a good week and enjoy the coming good weather M x

Jenny said...

Thank you for sharing your fall with me. I do miss it very much here in Arizona. Great images!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos and equally vivid writeup. I love that Santayana quote - definitely something to keep in mind as the days get shorter, and colder. Each season has something wonderful to impart to us if we but watch and listen...

Susannah said...

Thanks very much everyone for visiting and for your comments, it is always good to see you all. :-) x


Jabblog and Harry, thank you! I googled quince and looked at photos and saw its flowers too, and that is exactly what it is. I have quinces! :-) - Thanks again.

It has puzzled me for the 8 years I have lived here. I think I shall do as Harry said and leave them on the bush, they are a lovely splash of colour and I can see them from the window.


Morvah, yes I always delight in a conker, and have bought that one hime along with a sycamore seed and some beautiful papery bark from a silver birch. :-)


Have a wonderful week everyone. x

Kalyan said...

Simply beautifully captured shots...lovely!

Susannah said...

Thank you Kalyan. ;-)

Anonymous said...

The leaves and the water are magical. They are poems. How uplifting!

Susannah said...

I thought so too Selma! Always good to see you. x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails